Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Patan, Nepal

Durbar Square
Patan is only about 2 Kilometers from Kathmandu, but it is a world apart. I'm sad to say that K-K-K-K-K-K-Kathmandu is not what one envisions when listening to Bob Seger's song. I'm told that it was a paradise, but that was 30+ years ago. These days, Kathmandu is a noisy, dirty, polluted and rather charmless sprawl that nobody is too fond of.

By contrast, Patan is more relaxed, less touristy and has preserved many of its amazing buildings, thanks in part to UNESCO support. Happily, we skipped Kathmandu and went straight to Patan from the airport.

We stayed in a beautifully restored, traditional Newari house (not pictured here). A great place run by lovely people - the same family that has owned the building for over 200 years! The only drawback is that the ceilings are about 5'8" tall (oh, my back!) and the doorways are much lower (oh, my head!).

Pigeons of Patan

You talkin' to me?


Gentlemen of Patan

Street sweeper and trainee

Girl and Prayer Wheel, Golden Temple

Monkey Statue and Chain, Golden Temple

The origins of ayurvedic massage?

During the dry season people must carry water from the well

Patan Palace Courtyard

Dogs: Sacred and Otherwise

Durbar Square "Skyline"


Colorful Rituals of Nepal:


Novice and Monk, Golden Temple

Usually, photographs are not allowed of this ritual. For some reason the monk took a shine to me and gave me permission. He also sprinkled holy water on me and gave me a flower which is meant to bring good fortune. My "guide," an entertaining itinerant man named Vishnu, was very surprised at all of this and kept telling me how lucky I was.

Examples of Newari Architecture:





Time to say namaste

No comments: