Thursday, February 26, 2009

Today is Better Than Two Tomorrows


During our first visit to Laos, Katrina and I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Rogers, an Irish documentary film maker who was working on a documentary about two young novice monks.

In addition to being a talented filmmaker, Anna is an absolute blast to hang out with. A particularly memorable evening from our trip was the night she brought us to her friend's wild (and very non-traditional) Laotian party, complete with blaring house music and drag queens... but I digress.

The point is that Anna's film, Today is Better Than Two Tomorrows, has finally been released. It was selected for the Jameson Dublin Film Festival, and played to a sell-out crowd. As the movie's website notes, Anna filmed this movie herself over a period of years (it was well under way when we met her in 2005) with no crew or translator - truly an impressive achievement, and a labor of love! I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Just before we left home, Anna contacted me to ask if she could use some of my images from Laos to promote her movie. I am pleased to say that she chose to use my image of a novice walking with an umbrella for the movie's poster.

Besides being the work of our friend, I am eager to see this film as the theme of the movie is very much in the spirit of the book that Katrina and I are working on.

To find out more about Today is Better Than Two Tomorrows, see the movie's website, or visit movie's Facebook page.

P.S. Anna, you better come through with those posters or I'll tell all the details about that party!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello! I took your calculus class a couple of years back at Skyline, my name is Colin. Anyway, I have been enjoying your photography quite a bit! Congrats on having your shot used for the film poster. Your shots are all very "real" and have a very true-to-life texture (but what do I know!).

Just wanted to drop a line!

Best,
Colin

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Glad to here your doing good.The pics are awesome.Seems like you,ve been gone for ever.You enjoying yourselves?Feeling good?Everything is going good here.Take care and I,ll write ya later.Vince